[ic] Adding Null to Select Box using mv_metadata?

Mon Nov 18 23:33:01 2002

Quoting David Kelly (david@zeald.com):
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:46 am, Mike Heins wrote:
> > Quoting David Kelly (david@zeald.com):

> > > Yeah I was thinking that too ... but I gave it a try and no joy?
> > > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Are you *explicitly* trying to set a database NULL value? Hmm. IC's
> > update_data routine can't do that; and it is not common, for this is the
> > first time I have ever heard that desire.
>
> I am wanting to allow the user to select some data from a drop-down box for
> the field.  But, occasionally the user doesn't want any data to be added to
> the field.  Unfortnately by default the drop down has the first record in the
> drop down selected and so the first value in the drop down is entered is in
> the field.   So the user is left with no way of adding NULL to the field.
>
> So essentailly my question is this.  Is there anyway to add a NULL (or even an
> empty string ("")) value to the drop down list (and have it so that this is
> selected by default) using table-editor and mv_metadata in 4.8.6?

You had all confused me. You aren't talking about adding a NULL, but an
empty string. They are two different things in SQL.

I assume you are talking about combining the option for a blank with
some values that come from a lookup. If you add "=--none--" to the
options field in metadata that will do it.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Prove you aren't stupid.  Say NO to Passport.