[ic] HTML in SQL database

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Oct 11 22:33:02 2002

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:11:46AM +1000, George Osvald wrote:
> >You can serve pages from a database table, we will call it "files" for the
> >purpose of discussion. It should have the following fields:
>
> >    code base_code page_text show_date expiration_date base_page
>
> >The code is the page name (sans .html extension), and "page_text" is
> >the content. The rest of the fields are unimportant in this context.
>
> >Then put in catalog.cfg:
>
> >        PageTables   files
>
> >At that point, whenever you request a page for display this will be
> >looked at first and that record delivered instead of the file.
>
> >Before anyone asks, it is not documented. I doubt anyone has used it
> >except for me. It has the ability to do a "teleport" mode, whereby
> >you can select a page based on a point in history, but I will not explain
> >that here (nor likely ever). That is what the extra fields are for.
>

> I have been serving the whole web site from database using ZOPE for about four
> years now and I love the concept. Updating the site is a question of
> uploading a couple of files and everything else is done automatically. I am
> however forced by circumstances to change for IC (Perl v Python problem) and
> I need something really flexible.

Can't one use zope to build static pages?  Build your ic pages that way.
It's what we do (not zope but same idea).  We use our site builder to
create our catalogs.  Everything is in database except a few custom
perl modules.  So you could stick with what you know.

Something like

all the
  layers of zope
    stuff
  nested however
  you might
  want
     [perl module.pm embed ic here]
  and wrap it
     up with
     whatever
  other zope stuff
you have.

Feed that page to ic.

If you have ic tags all over your page that will be
a tough row to hoe; it will work fine but be hard to
maintain.

If you have four years of zope, stick with it and figure out how to
embed ic.  With that amount of experience it seems you might want to
research the field before you jump into the code.

Easy for me to say, we've stuck with perl all along.  :-)