[ic] Credit card return values help. SOLVED

Fri Oct 18 12:09:00 2002

Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> At 11:24 PM 10/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Thanks!  Actually this is a very helpful piece of code:
> >
> ><pre>
> >[calc]
> >my $string = $Tag->uneval( { ref => $Session});
> >$string =~ s/{/{\n/;
> >$string =~ s/,/,\n/g;
> >return $string;
> >[/calc]
> ></pre>
> >
> >I use it to debug all kinds of things now.  It's like a piece of magic :)
>
> Guess where I found it?
>
>          cd VENDROOT/lib
>          perldoc Vend::Payment::Signio.pm
>
> There is some good documentation in the Interchange code, though there
> could be a lot more.

We've got plenty of documentation -- right now the uncompressed size *unbuilt*
is about 1.7 megabytes.

The docs are just not organized very well. I wish we would find
some sort of documentation god to rain grace upon our documentation,
but judging from the lack of docs of most open source projects I doubt
that will happen.

I do know we have more detailed docs than any other ecommerce
program I have seen.

Other than that, PHP, MySQL, and Apache have good ones. But we
are not in that league.

The best docs I have seen are for-pay products, with DreamWeaver
standing out. But no one has offered to pony up $100,000 to fund
something like that. (I suspect the supporting companies of the
above have spent the equivalent on docs, too.)

I spent $7,000 personally to have some editing done on the Minivend
docs, and Akopia put a couple tens of thousands of dollars into things.
I would grant at least $10,000 right now to anyone who did a great job
with our current docs. The problem is that from past experience, I have
no confidence that anyone would do much with them given that money, so I
wouldn't pay it up front or guaranteed. I would do it in a flash if they
did an obvious bang-up job that is acclaimed by all. That is a serious
offer, by the way. It would require plain-text editability, and some
sort of parseable format that could be put in a database and searched.
Beyond that, if everyone acclaimed it I would write a check.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.