[ic] "upgrade" from DBM files to a MySQL server solution in IC 4.8.7

Eros Shop info at eros-shop.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 04:57:46 EDT 2004

At 21:44 15/04/2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:08:31 +0100, Eros Shop wrote:
>

> >>This is one way which works:
> >>
> >>1. backup all of your import files (products.txt, transactions.txt, etc)
> >>2. make an html page with [tag export transactions transactions.txt][/tag]
> >>and so on for every table you have, and put this in your pages directory.
> >>3. browse to that  page and your 'import files' are now updated
> >>4. in variable.txt, set 'mysql <tab>1', 'SQLDSN<tab>dbi:mysql:test_vwe'
> >>(being a 'test_*' table it will be created without a username or password)
> >>5. restart IC and break out a cold beer.
> >>
> >>(if it won't create the new db then the MySQL default has been changed
> >>to not allow a 'test_*' db. Either change it back, or SSH in as root
> and use
> >>'mysql_setpermission' to create a new db with username and password)
> >>
> >>Always back up all tables and dbs before making major changes.
> >
> >Hi Lyn,
> >
> >If I understand this correctly, if the MySQL import fails or any of the
> >fields get truncated unexpectedly, I can simply reverse the changes in step
> >4 above and revert back the DBM system provided all my backed up import
> >files (*.txt) are restored to <CATROOT>/products before I restart IC again?
>
>So long as you have those import files current then you can revert to GDBM.
>
>However, what Racke most probably meant with his comment, and what I
>certainly meant with my follow-up, was that you should _not_ do this kind of
>thing on a live shop.
>
>Basically, your live shop is what your customers see and gauge your reputation
>from. It should never be 'under construction', malfunctioning, or broken
>in any
>shape or form. You should have a 'development site' which you can use for
>experimenting and breaking without worry. Then, when you have the current
>development subject properly sorted and working you copy that over to the live
>site, test it to make sure that it really does work still, and the job is
>done.
>
>If your live shop is in /home/eros/cat/eros, then SSH in and do
>'mkdir /home/eros/cat/eros_dev',
>'cp -af /home/eros/cat/eros/* /home/eros/cat/eros_dev', and then edit
>the dev variable.txt to suit the new vars. In your cgi-bin copy the 'eros'
>link to 'eros_dev', fix up the ownership and permissions on it, then go
>ahead and sort out your migration to MySQL. And for the other comment
>about truncated data, look in dbconf/mysql/*.mysql for the default values
>and edit them if any seem, or prove to be, too limiting.
>
> >If this is the case then I'm game to just give it a go when it's quiet in
> >my store ;)
> >
> >(don't worry I just heard everyone take a sharp breath and mutter under
> >their tongue that I'm loopy :p )

Another silly, but hopefully quick question.

There's a page in the Admin UI called dbdownload.html that seems to do the
db backup that you mentioned above, although it puts them in
<CATROOT>/backup. I this the same as making the page you were talking about
except the txt files are put in another location?

Many thanks

Mark

Eros Shop
vwe internet ltd