[ic] Active / Inactive Items

Steve icdev at mrlock.com
Tue Apr 20 12:53:48 EDT 2004

> > Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > No, the customer can't see these items in the search results.
> > > I suppose that he can call the flypage.
> >
> > We use the inactive field to identify discontinued product and were
> > having problems with people finding inactive product flypages
> via search
> > engines.
> >
> > Our solution was to add a check for the inactive flag at the top of the
> > flypage and then plaster "DISCONTINUED" all over the page. We also
> > remove the add to basket button to stop people buying it.
>
> What would be a sensible solution for that problem ? I can imagine
> bouncing to a page "This item is discontinued bla bla".
>
> 	Racke

I think it would be good to display inactive items on the flypage - that way
you can make suggestions for other products in its place, and the search
engines do not try to access a page (flypage) that does not exist.

Exclude inactive products in the search results, or random promotions etc...

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Steve