[ic] Admin Redesign?

Grant emailgrant123b at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 17:10:01 EDT 2004

http://demo.icdevgroup.org/i/demo1/admin/login?destination=admin/order

> [...]
> information to be entered
> > is done via a series of extremely fast loading
> pop-up scripts.  A new page
> > never has to load.  This eliminates LOTS of
> pointing and clicking, and
> > admins can quickly facilitate a large amount of
> orders and the entering of
> > all the corresponding tracking numbers.
>
> This can easily be done.
>

> > 3. 'active customers'
> > Sorting of the customer list by ID isn't very
> useful.  I think displaying
> > this information below would be more useful.
> >
> > Last Name
> > First Name
> > Email Address
> > State
> > Last Transaction Date
> > Customer Type (able to change customer type by
> selecting from pulldown menu)
>
> The "Customer Type" will be extremely
> implementation-dependent. Again,
> you can easily change the way these things are
> displayed in IC.
>

> > 4 UPS label printing.  Nexternal has integrated
> with UPS so tightly that
> > customers don't have to use the UPS software
> anymore.  Labels can be printed
> > directly from the nexternal order management
> interface.  NO REDUNDANT ENTRY!
>
> This is just a matter of doing the code -- I think
> someone has done some
> work along these lines, but I have never been asked
> to do such a thing;
> most of my customers are existing companies that
> already have a pick/ship
> process that they use.
>

> > 5 Create Invoice, Create Packing Slip...
>
> Now we are getting into the ERP aspect again --
> "Create Invoice" is something
> that Interchange would not normally do except on a
> custom basis.
>

> > 6. Nexternal has a great email interface that
> allows you to easily slice and
> > dice your customer list, as well as print out
> postal mailing labels.
>
> Not hard at all, assuming "slice and dice" can be
> defined.
>

> > 7. Batch Processing
> >
> > These are things that I am going to have to
> address in order to stay in
> > business.  Does anyone else out there have similar
> needs?  If so, maybe
> > these concepts would be a good addition to the
> community project list.
> >
> > I'd also like to see some discussion about which
> of these requests are
> > plausible, and which are not...
>
> They are all plausible -- it is just a question of
> doing the pages and
> code, after a reasonable definition process.
>
> It is a lot of work. My guess is that I would be 50
> hours in by the
> time I got to see the light at the end of the
> tunnel, Perhaps the
> best use of the time would be a more flexible
> order/display listing,
> with defineable links for all of the columns. The
> individual popups
> and batching procedures could then be added in on a

In the near future I plan on digging into the UI and
tearing it apart until all I have is straight-forward
table editing capabilities, as well as access to
custom processes.  The table editing is
self-explanatory, and the custom processes would be an
organized list of links to different pages that I set
up to do specific things based on user input.  I'm
trying to move away from the
do-everything-for-everyone style of the IC UI and
others and toward something very simple and customized
to be exactly what I need and nothing more.  It seems
like it would be easy to set up and extremelly
flexible.

- Grant