[ic] perl question, sort of ot, but what the hell.

Tom Hodder tom at ecnow.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 21:04:09 EST 2004

Hi,

after I installed the unthreaded perl on my redhat 8.0 box (as a prereq to
installing ic), perl opened port 1212. I think this was something to do with
SSLeay, but I can't be sure as I restarted some daemons and it went away, and
didnt come back. so I didn't record what script it was running. (I only
noticed this a few days later, so it would have been open for a while)

Has anyone got any pointers to information what it was doing at this point, as
machines on my network are allowed to open ports to the interweb above 1000
without problems with the firewall.

I also noticed a scan across the network from a polish IP looking for open
ports 1212 a few months back so it gave me a slight panic. No disrespect to
polish university students, but I've had my IDS triggered a few times by scans
from polish university IPs.

Cheers.

T.