[ic] possible bug [error all=1 hide=1 comment="Clear errors"] displays 1

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sun Jul 4 17:35:10 EDT 2004

Quoting John1 (list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk):
> On Sunday, July 04, 2004 7:00 PM, ic_users at newmediaems.com wrote:
>
> > At 05:03 AM 7/4/2004, you wrote:
> >
> >> The tag:
> >>
> >> [error all=1 hide=1 comment="Clear errors"]
> >>
> >> as found in checkout.html, seems to return a "1" if there were errors
> >> that were cleared.  So a "1" gets displayed at the bottom of the
> >> page.
> >>
> >> Is this by design?  Is there any way of stopping it returning, or at
> >> least, displaying a "1"?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Hmmm - hide=1 is supposed to prevent that (I would assume) - how
> > about just enclosing it in an html comment pair : <!--  -->
> >
> Works a treat - thanks Ed.
>
> How do I submit this as a bug (assuming it is a bug)?  Or do I just assume
> that someone from the development team will pick this up from the mailing
> list?

It is not a bug unless we document somewhere that hide=1 does that
for the error tag. While hide=1 works for a lot of tags, it doesn't
for all and it doesn't make sense for it to work for all.

In fact, error all=1 is supposed to return something about all errors --
the number of errors if no other display option is selected -- clearing
them in the process unless you specify keep=1. Whether the hide
parameter should work in that case is debatable.

It would make more sense to me to have an [error clear=1], but that
is easily accomplished with:

	[calc]
		delete $Session->{errors};
		return;
	[/calc]

I don't think it is broke, so I am not going to fix it. 8-)

By the way, you could have gotton a lot of information by doing:

	more lib/Code/SystemTag/error.coretag

The source is the best documentation. I am certainly not saying that
you should *have* to do that, I am reminding people of the benefits
of open source.

The combination of "grep -r <searchstring> /usr/local/interchange"
and a file viewer can reap big benefits.

--
Mike Heins

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman