[ic] User tracking

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Thu Oct 21 12:22:19 EDT 2004

Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> Jamie Neil <jamie at versado.net> wrote:
>>I've found the usertrack file very useful for both troubleshooting and
>>generating accurate ROI stats etc. However when you're serving 500K
>>pages per month it quickly grows unmanagable, so I've been rotating it
>>once a month and compressing and archiving the old logs.
>>
>>This works ok but means that only the current months stats are easily
>>available to me for producing reports. What I'd like to do is log the
>>same kind of information to an SQL database which will (hopefully) be
>>more scalable and faster/easier when generating reports.
>>
>>Has anyone done this and if so could they give me some tips? I was
>>thinking about putting a block of perl in an Autoload, but I'm not sure
>>whether this is the best approach.
>
> Presumably we can extend Interchange's usertracking easily to log into
> a SQL database. I'll look into that soon if you like. How do you
> generate statistics from the usertracking information ? I'm sure that
> other users will be interested in your experiences.

At the moment I'm doing some analysis by hand (a combination of grep and
Excel), and some using the traffic report module from IC 5.0 (which
seems to be missing/disabled in 5.2). We track all our paid advertising
(PPC and banners etc.) by setting mv_pc in the query string so they are
treated by IC as "affiliates".

The stats produced by the traffic report are very useful, but could be
much better if the data was in a database so more complex queries were
possible. Once I get this working I'm looking at extending the traffic
report module to take advantage of it and I'd be happy to feedback the
results to the group.

Regards,

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454