[ic] Threaded perl (re: debian bug #203579)

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Sun Feb 27 04:35:54 EST 2005

Mike Heins wrote:
> You have been talking like you think C is easier than Perl to do thread-
> safe code for -- in fact it is much, much harder because there are so
> many different data types which require different types of pre-allocation.
> All it takes is a referencing a bad pointer and boom, you are dead.
I was thinking it would give you a way to avoid the threads issue,But:

should do the same thing and is something that the interchange package could
install and avoid the issue of having to build a special perl (and the issue
comming up on this mailing list for the time being). Is there still a reason to
build a special perl to avoid threads instead of just using the .bash enviorment

> I will tell you what I will do -- I will put up a machine running
> Fedora Core 3 and it's threaded Perl 5.8.5 (latest Interchange from
> nightly build, MySQL 4.1.9, all latest modules from CPAN). It is at:
> 	http://art.perusion.com/

Thanks - sorry if I've been a pain - but this issue was like a thread hanging
out of a sweater - I had to pull it to see where it led to. Anyone else who
wants to know can now look at this thread and see the dead horse.

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    		       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

Happiness is a Swedish sunset; it is there for all,
but most of us look the other way and lose it.--Mark Twain