[ic] Forking processes

Boyer, Jim boyerj at wsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 18:25:15 EST 2005

System particulars: O/S RH 2.4.21-27.0.1.ELsmp, IC 5.2.0, Perl 5.8.5

I am looking for a way to solve a process waiting problem.  The process
I need to call is a web service running on a windows 2003 server.  Right
now I call the web service from the receipt.html page as a user defined
function, but many times the web service takes too long and the receipt
page doesn't show quickly enough causing customers to double hit the
submit button.  I would like to be able to call the web service and then
not wait for the response so the receipt page displays quickly.  I don't
need a response from the web service.

I have looked at forking the Windows side, but it looks very improbable.

Jim Boyer
Systems Programmer
College of Agriculture, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences
Washington State University