[ic] Restricting access to PDFs

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Aug 1 03:29:00 EDT 2006

Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to limit the display of PDF files to admins.  I've put my
> PDFs in a directory below the docroot and set up apache2 to require
> authentication to access that directory.  The whole thing works fine,
> but I was wondering if there might be an IC way to do this?
The IC way to do things like that is to treat the files as "soft goods".
The idea is that you create a randomly-named directory and symlink
your file into there.  You can then provide a URI to your file without
much chance of anyone guessing the path.

The symlink setup can be gated using whatever Interchange-based
authentication you deem appropriate.

For an example, see the [enable-downloads] UserTag, on this page:

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz