[ic] Removing Session ID

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Sat Jan 28 18:29:38 EST 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, William Fiore wrote:

> Thanks to the help of this forum I have a number of working rewrite rules
> in my .htaccess file but the following one has been stumping me all day. I
> am trying to redirect the following url:
> From: www.url.com/ic/sku.html?a_aid=1234
> To: www.url.com/ic/sku.html
> My Rewrite Rule looks like:
> RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} a_aid
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1? [L,R=301]
> I have restarted interchange but it still doesn't seem to work. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

Try this:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} a_aid
RewriteRule .* %{REQUEST_URI}? [R=301]

I believe the problem is that your (.*) match isn't a full URL or even an
absolute URI (with a leading /) so it's not clear what to redirect to,
and Apache must be ignoring it altogether.

Note that adding the ? to remove the a_aid GET argument also removes any
other GET arguments in the URL, which may or may not be what you want.

Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation