[ic] Set variable to query result at start-up?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Feb 15 17:26:40 EST 2008

"Stefan Hornburg (Racke)" <racke at linuxia.de> wrote:
> Jon Jensen wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> > > If IC Jobs are mimicking Unix cron in a way, how about adding support
> > > for special time specification in style of Unix cron, but instead of
> > > @reboot like in Cron, we'd call it @startup and/or @reconfig. It would
> > > run in catalog context, after catalog is configured, and once for
> > > @startup, or each time for @reconfig.
> > >
> > That sounds like it could work, as long as it happened before forking
> > any child processes so that the changes were guaranteed to happen before
> > any processing happens.
> >
> I might work, but IMHO this is really a useful feature for Interchange.
> It shouldn't be hard to add a new directive which is called after
> catalog configuration. Hiding this feature within Cron add complexibility
> to the code and to the documentation :-). Adding this to bugtracker:
>
> http://rt.icdevgroup.org//Ticket/Display.html?id=160

I've added a comment to the new RT report.  The comment advocates the
creation of a new "website_init" SpecialSub.

It should be noted that if this new facility was used then special care
would have to be taken to ensure that the code runs as efficiently as
possible.  Upon startup or reconfiguration, the website would be down
for the additional amount of time it takes to run the code.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz