[ic] Perl odbc?

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Tue May 6 16:03:32 UTC 2008

Quoting Mike Heins (mike at perusion.com):
> Quoting Stefan Hornburg (Racke) (racke at linuxia.de):
> > Steve Graham wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > What or how do you connect to a live MS database via Perl?
> > >
> > > I can connect to various databases via Linux with php and a special
> > > program called odbtp. How do you do this with Perl?
> >
> > Years ago it worked with DBI and DBD::Sybase.
>
> You are talking about connecting to SQL Server, Racke. I don't think
> that goes anymore, but now it can be made to work with DBI and
> DBD::ODBC.

Surprise -- Sybase still works. From the DBI FAQ:

    How do I access a MS SQL Server database from Linux/UNIX?

	You have loads of choices (in no particular order):

	* using DBI::ProxyServer or DBD::Gofer. You'll need the former if
	  you use transactions.

	* using a commercial ODBC Driver or bridge like the ones from
	  Easysoft or Openlink.

	* using FreeTDS an open source TDS library which includes an ODBC Driver.

	* using DBD::Sybase and Sybase libraries.

--
Mike Heins

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer