[ic] abandoned cart emails

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Feb 16 06:34:31 UTC 2010

On 16/02/10 18:07, Dan Bergan wrote:
> A client of mine would like their interchange system to send an email
> to customers who have abandoned their shopping cart.  From my
> research, it appears to be a great way to boost conversions.
>
> I assume I will only be able to send to users who are logged in (and
> have opted in to emails).  It looks like I will have to parse the
> session files looking for items in the shopping cart.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?  Is there any example code out
> there before I dive in?

No, but I can give you some pointers:

The session files are usually in Storable format (if your perl has the
Storable module).  Set up your cron job to check the mtime of the file
so you know the session is expired, then read the file in with Storable
and you can easily access the cart to see if it's empty from there.  You
can unlink the file when you're done so that this script doubles as a
session expire script as well.

Peter