[ic] Custom sort algo, sort on filtered data, or concatenate two sorted queries?

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Jan 29 06:28:01 UTC 2010

On 29/01/10 18:59, John A. wrote:
> ... order by colors NOT LIKE "red%", colors
>
> I'm new to SQL and hit on this after the 1st digest after my post, so
> it somehow never occurred to me to see if there was an
> ascending/descending sort order option. So what would be faster/more
> efficient: NOT LIKE or DESC? (I suppose it could very well vary with
> the implementation of SQL.)

I think the difference would be negligible if there is one at all.  Feel
free to benchmark it.

> The next stage is making a page with the list of colors and links to
> their various page #s from their more lists.

That's gonna be more difficult.  It will require learning the internals
of how the searches and sorts work and be able to access the entire list
(not just the list for the current page) in order to be able to compile
the customized more list as you want.  Off the top of my head I can
think of one or two ways to do it but I would have to experiment to get
it just right.

> I'll poke around at it
> and give you guys a holler if I get stuck.

Good luck.

Peter