[ic] Truck Shipping

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri May 28 13:58:34 UTC 2010

Quoting Kerry Blalock (kerry at basicq.com):
> I am using the standard store on version 5.6. I am trying to add a
> shipping method for items over the UPS size limit of 108 inches in
> length. If I add a size field in the product table and populate with the
> width of these items, is it possible to use the admin shipping without
> getting into much programming? Can size be added to the "calculate based
> on this criteria" dropdown? (and in the Calculate based on this algorithm)
> If over size=108, charge $65 is basically what I am needing. Also need
> it to use this method only if the size is greater than 108".
>
> My standard shipping is setup to charge a flat rate for orders under
> $100, and free for orders over $100.
> Somehow, I need an "except when over 108".

The typical way is to write a UserTag that scans the cart and determines
the weight of the items and returns it. If the 108" condition comes up,
you can return zero and handle the exception by 1) going to another
mode with >> ala the upsg_or_free mode in the demo, or 2) telling the
customer that shipping will be manually set up via email or phone when
the cost is zero.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.328.4479  <mike at perusion.com>

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown