[ic] Using IC to track orders and estimates/costs

Henry Hartley henry at dotrose.com
Wed Oct 20 20:31:35 UTC 2010

I've been put in touch with a gentleman who makes and repairs bows for
stringed instruments. He's interested in a web site that will allow him
to have customers select various combinations of materials or select
certain repairs to be made but the price will be figured out manually
and applied to the order. He'd like the system to handle sending e-mails
with the estimate to the potential customer, who would then need to
approve (or not) the order before the work would actually be done. He
also wants to track some of the more traditional customer relations type
information, such as purchase history and discounts for every 5th
purchase (for example).

I don't know all the details but I'd like to be well armed before I get
too involved with him. It's been a long time since I did anything with
Interchange, although I am still on the mailing list. Has anyone done
anything like this -- managing estimates and getting confirmations, etc.
with IC? Or is this a case where I might be better off writing a custom
app from scratch?

--
Henry