[ic] StartServers and RAM

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Jun 14 09:21:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Grant wrote:

> I'm experimenting with different values for StartServers and I've
> discovered that most of the resident memory associated with IC processes
> seems to be shared.  'top' shows each of my processes have over 100M
> resident memory and yet doubling or tripling the StartServers value
> barely changes the -/+ buffers/cache values in 'free'.  I'm also using
> MaxRequestsPerChild 100 and ChildLife 3600.
> Has anyone found a good method/formula for maximizing StartServers and
> preventing OOM?  How much RAM should you have for StartServers 150 for
> example?
> Is RAM the only consideration when tuning StartServers?

RAM and CPU and workload (I/O or CPU bound?).

A good rule of thumb would be to have maybe 2-5 Interchange child
processes per CPU core. It's hard to see the use of more than that unless
you have a heavily database-bound setup where many IC children need to be
serving a request but wait around a lot not burning CPU. But if you're
CPU-bound in Interchange and things get busy, they'll just be fighting
against each other if you get too many at the same time.

Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation