[ic] Interchange really bad for SEO?

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Wed Jun 17 19:56:01 UTC 2015

Hi David,

I don’t know if this is best practice (perhaps there are others that can provide better :)).

In a site I created I used scratch variables …

Example:

templates/grayorange/regions/TOP:

[if scratch page_title]

  <title>example.com - [msg]__SHORT_TITLE__[/msg] [msg][scratch page_title][/msg]</title>

[else]

  <title>example.com - [msg]__LONG_TITLE__[/msg]</title>

[/else]

[/if]

And then in catalog/pages/index.html   it has:

[tmp page_descr]LONGTITLE[/tmp]

[tmp page_kwrds]KEYWORDS[/tmp]

(so no page_title so it would use the ‘else’ above)

And in catalog/pages/flypage.html it has:

  [tmp page_title] ## [item-filter quote_reduce][item-description][/item-filter]  ([item-field mancat]) - [item-field manbrand] [item-field manid] [item-field scale][/tmp]

  [tmp page_descr][item-field category] - [item-filter quote_reduce][item-description][/item-filter] ([item-field mancat]) - [item-field manbrand] [item-field manid] [item-field scale][/tmp]

  [tmp page_kwrds][item-field category] [item-field mancat] [item-field manbrand] [item-field manid] [item-field scale][/tmp]

But as can be seen from the other replies, there are more ways to Rome. :)

CU,

Gert