Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Cybercash 3.2.0.6

******    message to minivend-users from Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com>     ******

Quoting Webmaster (webmaster@infothai.com):
> ******    message to minivend-users from "Webmaster" <webmaster@infothai.com>     ******
>
> Hi,
>
> I have encountered the Cybercash failure that was noted before in this list,
> in which the latest Cybercash (v.3.2.0.6) will not encrypt when running with
> Minivend 3.14-5.
>
> Cybercash 3.2.0.6 introduced the use of the "open2' IPC call to communicate
> with the encryption and decryption programs, which are invoked as separate
> processes. It is clear from the earlier posts that the open2 versus temp files
> change is the source of the problem, since on author reported that "degrading"
> to 3.2.0.4 solved the problem.
>
> By instrumenting the Cybercash perl code, I found that the reported error
> ("missing MAC") is exactly correct - there was null data returned from the
> encryption process. I also found that if Minivend is started in -DEBUG mode,
> then the everything works. The Cybercash integration tests also work.
>
> Putting it all together, this means that the problem would seem to lie with
> Minivend operating in the background and trying to use open2. Perhaps there is
> a permission or resource difference between background and foreground/DEBUG
> that is the problem?

The problem is that open2 apparently relies on STDERR the actual named
handle, without duping and re-creating as necessary if it doesn't exist.

Minivend closes STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR as any reasonable daemon process
should. It puts STDERR to a non-existent file handle if debug output is not
wanted. My understanding is that this is not a technical error, but I am certainly
willing to be corrected if more knowledge is brought to bear.

They are not closed when in -DEBUG, so that would appear to
be the problem.

Try setting in minivend.cfg:

	DebugFile  /dev/null

and see if that solves it.

--
Internet Robotics, 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mikeh@minivend.com>

until you hear them speak. -- unknown
-