Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Showroom Advise

******    message to minivend-users from cfm@maine.com     ******

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 06:44:35PM -0400, Victor Nolton wrote:
> ******    message to minivend-users from Victor Nolton <ven@pragakhan.com>     ******
>
> i was informed today that a online store I've designed, they'd like
> to place a computer in 2 of their stores. They went out and bought
> computers for this (sigh).
>
> The problem is, they want to have the computers to be used in the
> store without the need of the internet. They suggested maybe I can
> install minivend for windows on it and do it that way. However this
> would be.. Bad cause I'd have trouble updating the site and they
> customer (store owner) would have 3 databases to update (main server,
> then the 2 store computers).
>
> I'd prefer unix on the machines cause if they did connect to the net
> I could login and make changes. BUT, I dont think may people want to
> use netscape under X.
>
> I'm baffold on this, and I feel bad cause they just spent $6000 on
> showroom systems.
>
> Recommendation?

Light use, find a low end pentium with enough RAM, put linux on
it and a minihub.  Heavy in shop use, go to Staples and buy a
brand new $1000 machine and minihub.   Get one with a ZIP or JAZ.

Hourly rate to install linux, visit shop and upgrade periodically.  You
will probably need a printer too for orders.  Run minivend from
that ZIP partition, periodically swap it out sneaker net.

They can update from the store computers just the same way they
update online; just **they** get to do it twice and explain to
customers why you can only buy the lampshade online and not in
the store.

Maybe it's not your **fault**, but unless you want stuff like this
to happen time and time again, make it your job to be in your
client's face regularly.  If you **can't** make this happen, then
someone in store will say, I can put free personal web server on that
machine and off the slippery slope you go.

cfm

Weren't you supposed to be on vacation by now?  ;^>

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039