[ic] Keeping up with 'construct', but bringing your changes along with you with 'diff -c' patches

Dan db@list.dnsalias.net
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:57:43 -0800

What is the best way to keep up with new IC construct catalog changes while
still keeping modifications?

Basically, this is a "How to use 'diff" question.  The idea is that I can
build a 4.6.1 catalog based off of construct with a few changes.  For the
changes, I make a bunch of '.patch' files using 'diff -c' for the entire
catalog directory (how do you roll all the patches into 1 file, ala kernel
patches, for a whole directory?).

Then, when 4.7.0 comes out, I build 4.7's construct, which might have a
bunch of new features I would like to have.  Luckily, I just 'patch <
mods461.patch' and I have my old modifications along with the new features.
To me this is better than just copying over the old catalog to the new ic
server, and of course you will have to deal with patches that don't apply
cleanly.

By the way, what do you all think of my method for keeping multiple IC's on
the same system (granted, I only need one ic running at a time):

/usr/local/ic-12-04    #interchange cvs checkout 12-04-00
/usr/local/ic-4.6.1    #interchange release 4.6.1
/usr/local/ic-4.6.0    #interchange release 4.6.0
/usr/local/interchange -> /usr/local/ic-12-04

My startup/stop/shutdown scripts all point to /usr/local/interchange

Then I have:
/var/ic/catalog1
/var/ic/catalog2
/var/ic/catalog3

And all the IC versions are configured to use /var/ic for the catalogs.

I've been doing it this way since 4.5.8 (when I discovered that I would like
it to be easy to roll back and forth from new versions to old version).  Is
there problems inherit in my method?  Or a better way of doing things?

-DAn