[ic] Shipping to different zip code

Russell Mann interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Apr 30 15:27:01 2003

> > I'm using IC 4.8.3 and the default user database setup is
> klunky in regards
> > to the shipping and billing address.  The billing address should be the
> > primary information entered, and shipping information should
> only be entered
> > if it is separate.
>
> You make this statement without showing any evidence as to why anyone
> should agree with you.

Ok, show me one major ecommerce site that works the way Interchange does.
Buy.com, Amazon.com, etc.  There's a reason for this.  With the Interchange
system, if I put in my friends name for the Ship To address, then next time
I login, the system will say "Welcome to Buy.com Fred Cougar" instead of
"Welcome to Buy.com Russell Mann."  This is a bit unprofessional, and
confuses people.

> > In any case, I fixed the problem by eliminating the
> > shipping address from the userdb, and selecting a shipping
> address for the
> > entire order based on entries in the "ship_addresses" data table.
> >
> > The problem comes in calculating shipping costs.  If the shipping and
> > billing addresses are the same, no problem.  If the shipping address is
> > different, I need to be able to calculate shipping based on a different
> > address.  How can this be done?
> You will have to figure that out, since you chose to use a different
> paradigm. You should probably change your shipping calculation code to
> account for this.

Do you mean in the shipping.asc file, or somewhere else?

> Not having to deal with this is just one of the advantages of having a
> the main address be the shipping address.

Are there other advantages?

> --
> Mike Heins

Can you point me in the direction of the code section that handles this?
One would assume that by including the "ship_addresses" database in the demo
there would be support for actually shipping to those addresses, or at least
a plan to get there.  Has anyone else done this?

Thanks,

Russell