[ic] Trouble with coordinated search to test for inactive

Ron Phipps rphipps at reliant-solutions.com
Wed Apr 7 18:02:27 EDT 2004

Hi Mike,

I tried your example and it looks like the search only pays attention to
the check for test in long_description or short_description or title.
It is returning records that have user_inactive or import_inactive set
to 1 which it should not be doing.  Any ideas?

> It is easy to write a custom search that works in one instance,
> but you will rewrite it every time in the future unless you
> standardize somewhere.
>
> Also, since IC now supports the Text::Query module, if that is
> installed you get the standard search mechanisms:
>
> 	test NEAR foo
> 	test NOT foo
> 	"exact phrase" AND qualifier
>
> In addition, when you write custom stuff based on SQL it may operate
> differently on different databases -- Postgres is case-sensitive,
MySQL
> is not, for example. Also you likely you have done very little
checking
> on boundary conditions.
>
> There is nothing wrong with custom searches. It is just important
> to know the downsides and counterpoints.

I'm seeing this more and more as I work with my custom query page.  I'd
really like to use the built in search, but there is no reason apparent
to me why these searches are not working.

-Ron