[ic] Trouble with coordinated search to test for inactive

Ron Phipps rphipps at reliant-solutions.com
Wed Apr 7 18:02:27 EDT 2004

> From: Mike Heins
> Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 12:20 PM
> To: interchange-users at icdevgroup.org
> Subject: Re: [ic] Trouble with coordinated search to test for inactive
> Quoting Ron Phipps (rphipps at reliant-solutions.com):
> > I read your thread and many others last night and was just being
> > stubborn figuring there has to be a way :)  I just wrote a query
page in
> > 10x less the time I experimented with the built in search.  Take it
> > easy!
> >
> You didn't mention if you tried my:
>     co=1
>     sf=import_inactive
>     se=0
>     op=eq
>     sf=user_inactive
>     se=0
>     op=eq
>     sf=:long_description,short_description,title
>     se=test

Hi Mike,

I tried your example and it looks like the search only pays attention to
the check for test in long_description or short_description or title.
It is returning records that have user_inactive or import_inactive set
to 1 which it should not be doing.  Any ideas?

> It is easy to write a custom search that works in one instance,
> but you will rewrite it every time in the future unless you
> standardize somewhere.
> Also, since IC now supports the Text::Query module, if that is
> installed you get the standard search mechanisms:
> 	test NEAR foo
> 	test NOT foo
> 	"exact phrase" AND qualifier
> In addition, when you write custom stuff based on SQL it may operate
> differently on different databases -- Postgres is case-sensitive,
> is not, for example. Also you likely you have done very little
> on boundary conditions.
> There is nothing wrong with custom searches. It is just important
> to know the downsides and counterpoints.

I'm seeing this more and more as I work with my custom query page.  I'd
really like to use the built in search, but there is no reason apparent
to me why these searches are not working.


More information about the interchange-users mailing list