[ic] IC server unavailable - ?perhaps permission problems?

Grant Listhandle lists at gwhufford.com
Mon Aug 30 11:46:39 EDT 2004

I've been lurking in this list for some time, with the intention of building
an Interchange site.  Last week I got started in earnest, and I've run into
a problem i'm not sure how to approach:

Running on a mandrake 10.0 box, apache, rebuilt perl and IC 5.2.0-1 from

When I access myhost/foundation, I get what appears to be a timeout (30
second delay) and then the message:

We're sorry, the interchange server is unavailable...
We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand. Please try
again soon.

Compared to the FAQ (section 2.1, configuration), I've got the following:

perl -V reveals, in part:  version 5.8.5 and usethreads=undef
cgi-bin/foundation is:  -rwxr -xr -x interch interch
there's nothing in /etc/ with the name socket -- during makecat, I set up
foundation to use INET sockets, if that's related.

My instinct tells me I have some problem with permissions underlying all
this-- restarting the IC server in a shell kicks this error:

Could not open error file '/usr/lib/interchange/error.log':
Permission denied
to report this error:
- - - [30/August/2004:10:26:42 -0500]  -  - Low traffic settings.

Thanks for reading this far, I hope that one of you may be able to shed some
light on how to approach this problem.

Familiarity with my OS:  3/10
Willingness to learn:  10/10