[ic] User tracking and stats

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Thu Oct 21 16:10:19 EDT 2004

David Walker wrote:
> I'm using a program called pglogd (http://www.digitalstratum.com/pglogd/) to
> log to a PostgreSQL database. Pglogd is a daemon that listens on a FIFO.

That looks interesting - unfortunately I'm using MySQL and too
familiar/happy with it at the moment to think about switching :). I'll
have to look out for a MySQL version.

> Apache writes to the FIFO instead of the log files, this should improve
> Apache's performance as the standard log files must be locked while they are
> being written causing other apache processes to block. I have not tested this.

I'm logging to Cronolog which I think has similar performance advantages.

> I'm working on analysis tools now. I want to graph how visitors move through
> my sites. That's much more useful information than how many visitors the site
> had yesterday.

This is the kind of thing I want to do, but is there sufficient data in
the Apache logs? I suppose you can use a custom log format to log the
X-Track header, but then parsing it might be difficult.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254