[ic] Mailing List vs. Message Board

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Fri Oct 29 16:48:08 EDT 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:17:50 -0600
Gary Norton <gnorton at broadgap.com> wrote:

> I wanted to ask if there are any plans in the future to move from a mailing list model to a message board structure.
>
> Is there a specific reason that this site is not using message boards? This is not meant to be antagonistic, but I find the message board structure easier to navigate and prefer the default threading.

Well, I for example, ignore "message boards" as much as I can. There's nothing
of their idea, usage or usefulness that attracts me.

I could take out a big list of why message boards should die, but that's out of the
scope here; I'm just saying that people's taste differs.

> I find that for most of my research needs all my resources are message
> board based or IRC.

IRC is a nice way to communicate. I greatly prefer it over anything else when I
just need a quick question/answer which isn't "suitable" for the mailing lists
and archival, or I just want to discuss day-to-day operations in a more informal
manner than mailing lists.

I'll take a chance to remind of IRC channels for Interchange:
 - #interchange on irc.icdevgroup.org
 - #interchange on the FreeNode IRC network (irc.gnu.org for example)

Those two channels have pretty different "usage" policies, so pick your favourite.

> This is the only site that continues to use mailing lists.

Uhm, quite the opposite.

Enjoy,
-docelic at icdevgroup.org