[ic] mod_interchange & AddHandler (FCKeditor)

Bill Carr bill at worldwideimpact.com
Wed Oct 19 11:07:34 EDT 2005

On Oct 9, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Mike Heins wrote:

> Quoting Bill Carr (bill at worldwideimpact.com):
>
>> IC 5.2, Linux-2.6.7, Perl-5.8.7, Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux),
>> mod_interchange-1.33 (IC_MAX_ORDINARYLIST 20)
>>
>> I am trying to install a WYSIWYG textarea replacement editor called
>> FCKeditor (I'm not trying to be vulgar. It's the author's initials).
>>

> Just so people know, I looked at this editor and it looks nice. I
> just added a widget that uses it:
>
>  http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/interchange/code/Widget/
> fck.widget
>
> This will provide a direction to replace the late great HTMLarea. We
> might even add a file browser that links to the admin or something.
Thanks, Mike

I have developed an Interchange connector for the FCKeditor based on
the MCPUK file browser. It's pretty sloppy, does not handle many
errors and has a few things that are specific to my setup. All that
said, it can handle most of the requests the file browser generates
and gives a response the file browser understands. I'd like to make
it better but I am burning up way to much time on it. I will post it
if there is any interest.

I would like to deploy the editor on arbitrary chunks of pages
throughout a site. I have taken a brief look at UI/ContentEditor.pm.
As the site designer I would like to mark chunks of the page as
editable. If the admin user is logged in they would see the FCKeditor
with the marked text in it. They would make their edits, submit the
form and be done. I do not want my users to ever have the ability to
edit ITL or change templates or components.  A typical use would be
specifying the HTML part of an "About Us" page as editable.

I was thinking of creating a container type UserTag. I would let this
tag surround the text I want to be editable. It would simply return
the contents if the user was not an authenticated admin user.
Otherwise, it would return a form with the content put in an instance
of the FCKeditor. I would create an IC page to use as the form action
to handle updating the page.

Is the above a decent approach? Is there a better way? Is there a way
I could leverage existing Interchange code to make this happen?

Thanks,
Bill Carr
bill at worldwideimpact.com