[ic] "Could not lock file" Error

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Nov 3 13:25:51 EST 2006

"Andrew Baltino" <augustine.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am receiving some odd errors on one of my catalogs.  My basket page
> has checkboxes next to the cart item that if checked remove the item
> from the cart ad refresh the page.  When on the basket page if I
> remove more than one item at a time (the cart is set to refresh each
> time an item is checked off to be removed) I get 500 Internal Server
> Error.  The error log has the following:
>
> "/cgi-bin/test_cat/process.html Runtime error: Could not lock file:
> Interrupted system call"
>
> The reason I post this is because I have no idea where to start.  I
> hunted the archives a bit and the only thing I can find is a possible
> PERL compatibility issue with the old verison if IC I use.  I
> therefore have a local version of perl 5.6 that I have installed - do
> I just reference this local version in the ~/interchange/bin/* files?
>
> I am running Interchange 4.8.6 and PERL 5.8
>
> Any thoughts on where my error may be coming from?

I have no idea.  I would hack the IC (very old) code and change the
error message to include the name of the file.  That might help you
track down the cause of the problem.  Any competent Interchange
consultant will be able to help you to do this.

On the other hand, I would probably just remove the page auto-refresh
from the checkboxes and make the user click on a refresh button, thereby
side-stepping the issue altogether.  In fact, I'd probably remove the
checkboxes and make the user set the quantity to zero (and hit the
refresh button) to remove items.

If all else fails, you could upgrade Interchange.  If the problem still
exists in the latest version then it might get looked at, and fixed in
the core. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz