[ic] Re: Which Linux are you using?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Jan 17 05:54:24 EST 2007

Jamie Neil <jamie at versado.net> wrote:
> Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > "Sam Nguyen" <sam at insidework.net> wrote:
> >> It sounds to me like IC runs on any GNU/Linux/BSD platform, which is
> >> good in that it seems like I won't run into any distro-specific problems
> >> (except maybe Ubuntu, I haven't heard from anyone on that).
> >>
> > I haven't used Ubuntu myself, but I wouldn't expect problems with it
> > or any other modern GNU/Linux distro.
>
> I've had IC running on both Ubuntu and Debian (on which Ubuntu is based)
> quite happily, but you still need a separate unthreaded Perl as on most
> other modern distros.

You don't "need" a version of Perl with threading support patched in
these days.  Interchange appears to work just fine either way.
Interchange, along with other Perl apps that don't use threads, will
just work approx. 25% slower with the ithreads patches in place.

Gentoo provides the following build options for Perl.  Note the
ithreads comment:

[ Found these USE variables for dev-lang/perl-5.8.8-r2 ]
 U I
 + + berkdb   : Adds support for sys-libs/db (Berkeley DB for MySQL)
 - - build    : !!internal use only!! DO NOT SET THIS FLAG YOURSELF!, used for creating build images and the first half of bootstrapping [make stage1]
 - - debug    : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml .
 - - doc      : Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
 + + gdbm     : Adds support for sys-libs/gdbm (GNU database libraries)
 - - ithreads : Enable Perl threads, has some compatibility problems
 - - perlsuid : Enable Perl SUID install. Has some risks associated.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz