[ic] Interchange Install Question

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Mon Oct 29 19:14:46 EST 2007

On 10/29/2007 04:41 PM, rb wrote:
> JT,
>
>     Thanks for the response and the explanation.
>
>> Interchange ... runs as a 'server' or 'daemon'. This means that the
>> Interchange program runs on the server all the time alongside the web
>> server daemon...
>>
>> When you access an Interchange page, Apache will route the request
>> (through CGI or mod_perl, etc) to an Interchange child process, which
>> is already primed up and ready to serve the request.
>
>     However, if you don't mind, this raises another question.  Why then,
> if Interchange runs as a daemon, does it need Perl at all?  I thought
> the idea of Perl was to do all the heavy lifting.  Does Interchange use
> just a subset of Perl?

Perl is a programming language platform much like C or python or java or
PHP, etc.  Any daemon has to be written in some programming language
(unless you're actually writing in machine code, but even that is
considered a language), perl just happens to be the language that was
chosen from the start to write Interchange in.

>     I guess I want to know this because I'm having a heck of a time
> getting Interchange installed on my MacBook Pro.

While IC should run on OS-X it is developed on the Linux platform,
therefore I can't really speak for any problems you might have trying to
run it on OS-X, maybe there is someone with experience getting it to run
on OS-X who can help you better.

>  I'm running a threaded
> version of Perl 5.8.6, which I know is frowned upon,

5.8.6 should be good enough but you'll get some performance penalties
for running with threads.

> but according to
> the docs, it should run just fine for testing purposes.
>
>     It gets to this point and then Perl hangs:
>
> /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/interchange-5.4.2/blib/session:
> not ok 2
> link/unixmode......

I don't understand what you're saying, what point?  Is the server
hanging when you try to start it or are you having problems accessing
the server?  Can you give more details please?

Peter