[ic] Need a fix for major tax problem

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri Feb 1 02:19:13 EST 2008

Quoting David Etheredge (David-Etheredge at worldnet.att.net):
> I have a problem with interchange that is unique to my state.
>
> Since I am in Alabama and Alabama shows up first in the state list in the
> US, interchchange automatically charges the applied state tax for all
> customers until they change the state. If they forget to change the state,
> they get charged tax. If a customer is from another country and changes the
> country, the state stays AL and they still get charged tax. Many countries
> do not have a state or province so they ignore changing the state. Then
> they get pixxed and cancel their order because they do not want to pay the
> tax. Customers in Alberta Canada get charged Alabama US tax!
>
> How can I force the tax to be $0.00 when the country is not US?

AL	[if value country eq US].06[/if]

> How can I select a different default state?

Sounds like you are using an old catalog model -- using the newer
state_select widget solves that.

But you can use the display tag, and make sure you have options="=--select--
" option set, or otherwise make sure you have an <option value="">--select--
</option> as your first state select.

--
Mike Heins

"Laughter is inner jogging." -- Norman Cousins