[ic] Apply strip filter globally

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Thu Jun 5 15:25:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, jimbo wrote:

>> And I can imagine one wouldn't want to be stripping anything from a search
>> query, in case I want to search for ' able', I would not want to have
>> returned 'table', 'lable', 'stable' etc ... So not my times that you'd not
>> want to strip, but this would be one of them.
>
> Then override it, just as it's done now for any default configuration
> setting. I don't like the default interpolate=1 for [filter] so I simply
> override it. Big deal. Boo, hoo, hoo. I suspect you can do the same.

How do you propose the override mechanism should work? Tags are called
explicitly somewhere, whereas this filter would happen at page load time
behind the scenes. Where would we override the behavior? In the form
itself would seem to be easiest, but that would also end up making it
effectively optional, as any malicious/mischievous user could override it
and it thus couldn't be relied upon.

>> And I'd say it to be catalog specific, not global interchange directive.
>
> Make it global and let individual catalogues override the default.

Similar question here. So imagine we set a global Filter directive. How
would the catalog override it? Perhaps a pseudo-filter reserved name
"none"?

In any case I think a catalog directive makes more sense. This kind of
thing is exactly what we normally do in catalog directives. Making it a
default in the Standard demo would have the effect of applying it nearly
everywhere, and I'm not sure what benefit a global directive would add.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation