[ic] Opensuse 10.3 - Error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.0

Jon Edwards fornews at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:23:31 UTC 2010

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:17:09 +0530
From: hakeemhere at gmail.com
To: interchange-users at icdevgroup.org
Subject: [ic] Opensuse 10.3 - Error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.0

I have installed opensuse 10.3 a few days back. I'm neither an expert nor very new to Linux. I'm facing problem with installing rpm packages. Error message: "error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". By Googling,  I found that it can be solved by installing xz-utils from the following source https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=596149. In doing so, I'm getting another error, which reads "bash: make: command not found". This is troubling me a lot. Kindly help me solve this issue.
Earlier, I was getting similar error for libselinux.so.1. I got it fixed by copying a copy of it from internet to /lib. I'm not sure, whether or not that's the correct procedure.

Even yast is not working (screenshot attached). zypper is not nstalled. Commands like rpm, rpm2cpio, yast not working.

Kindly help asap.

I don't have any experince with OpenSuSE, but a decent amount with SLES.  I'm thinking they're the same.
Use yast2 to install the C/C++ Compiler and Tools.
Under Software use Installation Source to set up access to the installatoin source. I usually give access to the ISO.
Then use Software Management to instll the compiler, etc.
Set the Filter to Patterns, select the C/C++ Compiler and Tool and then Accept.
You may have to use the Search Filter to find and install anything else you may not have already installed.