[ic] * Interchange has long been distributing the dump page....

Mike Heins mikeh at perusion.com
Tue Mar 25 17:59:32 UTC 2014

Quoting Jon Jensen (jon at endpoint.com):
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2014, Mike Heins wrote:
>
> >I agree that encouraging use of the SQLPASS is probably wrong. I
> >will make a patch to eliminate that and just use the MailOrderTo
> >setting as a password.
>
> Using MailOrderTo is certainly better than SQLPASS (or nothing), and
> no worries about sending it via http. So +1.
>
> >As for moving the dump page out of the catalog, I don't know. I
> >don't have strong feelings about it, but I would think that it
> >should be used by any catalog developer. Maybe it should be gated
> >by MV_DEMO_MODE, i.e.
> >
> >	[if var MV_DEMO_MODE]
> >	    [dump key="[cgi key]" sort="[cgi sort]"]
> >	[else]
> >	    [tag op=header]
> >	    [/tag]
> >	    Sorry, page not found.
> >	[/else]
> >	[/if]
>
> I don't mind that as a default. For me, [dump] is most useful in
> production, so I would not use that as it stands, but then I don't
> like to leave a dump.html page at the default location anyway, so I
> don't matter here. :)

I typically leave it there but gate it with a password (not SQLPASS,
just a password for that page). My password years ago was always
"nevairbe" but that has changed over time. 8-)

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.253.4194  <mike at perusion.com>

Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you
make it. -- unknown