MiniVend Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Amazon (Patent) US5960411: Method and system for placinga purchase order via a communications

Quoting jojo@buchonline.net (jojo@buchonline.net):
> On 16 Dec, Birgitt Funk wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >>          Hmm, maybe CompuServe, or even further back...  My bank had a
> >> service where I could press a button on the phone to order new checks.  Is
> >> that a click?  Oh well, all I know for sure is that Microsoft invented GUI
> >> and Al Gore invented the Internet.  :-)
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > I meant open source code, first shopping cart one-click checkout
> > released under GPL license. I ask, can you patent your code if GPL code
> > doing the same thing is already released into the public domain ?
> >

> This is my questions too! I am in a process to create a
> one-click-search and on-click-order for the external Sites without
> minivend server. I believe, minivend has get this ability first and it
> is under GPL license. I believe, amazon.com is not allowed to patent
> this feature.

To everyone,

Simply don't worry about all this.

We will be near the last of the list to be sued. The suit with Barnes
& Noble will have to be resolved first, and we can adapt then in the
unlikely event that Amazon wins and the patent is found to be valid.

For everyone's information, MiniVend first had this same type of feature
in February 1996, though in my opinion it simply doesn't matter. IANAL,
but the Amazon "patent" is in my opinion completely indefensible.

--
Mike Heins                          http://www.minivend.com/  ___
                                    Internet Robotics        |_ _|____

Search for: Match: Format: Sort by: