Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Showroom Advise

******    message to minivend-users from "Barry Treahy, Jr." <Barry@mmaz.com>     ******

Victor, I'm as anti-Micro$louth Windoze as they come, but there are some things that I
cannot do without it because software isn't available from other sources; now that is a
very short list for me, but it is still a list none the less which creates a NT/2000
requirement.

That said, and regardless of the OS, keeping three databases synchronized which are
running on three different machines at two different locations with no network and these
machines, they will not be networked?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but how do they expect you to accomplish that feat?

Anyway, presuming that these boxes are at least on a private network, I gather your major
heartburn is the NT/2000 issue and that, unlike Unix, remote administration can be a
beast.  May I introduce you to a slick, and best of all free, piece of software called
VNC which is now owned by AT&T Labs?  This neat little program is like PC Anywhere,
Remote Control, or many of the other Windoze only programs except that it runs a numerous
flavors of OS's, both client and server.

Check it out at: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Now the major limitation of this program is that it ONLY runs on networks - that means no
dialup directly to the machine!

Hopefully this helped...

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028

-