Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] One MV server, multiple users

******    message to minivend-users from cfm@maine.com     ******

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:51:47AM -0700, Ed LaFrance wrote:
> ******    message to minivend-users from Ed LaFrance <edl@newmediaems.com>     ******
>
> Hello all -
>
> This one appears many times in the MV mail list archives, but I did not
> find a real succinct answer, just some suggestions.  Simply put, what is
> the best way to set up one MV install so it can run multiple catalogs,
> owned by different users?  I have tried both the 'mulitple group' and
> 'group' installation configurations, which seem like they should work, but
> have not.  The catalogs which are owned by a different user than the owner
> of the MV server never run; either they die at MV startup, or the link file
> returns a 500 error in the browser.  The only error messages I get is in
> former case: "...could not tie to locale.gdbm, permission denied", echoed
> on the command line.  I seems that permissions are preventing the catalog
> from running correctly, but they are set in a way that make sense to me:
> user and group read an write, the link file owned by the MV user.  All
> users are in the same group when running in group mode; when running in
> multiple group mode I put each user in its own group and added that group
> as a secondary for the MV server owner.

We typically make vlink 4550 minivend:nogroup  (web server runs nobody:nogroup).
tlink doesn't care.

The minivend files (not pages) almost all need to be rw for minivend.  In your case
the particular users need rw too, so 660/770.  You'll need to figure out where
you draw the line.  Can they edit their catalog.cfg?  Restart server?  That
will determine if they are in same group as minivend or the other way
around.  You can set it up so they can edit only their pages 660 and leave
the minivend files to minivend if you want.  We typically set most of the
catalog up webmaster:spider 660 with a few things minivend:spider 600.

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039