> ******    message to minivend-users from "Eric Olsson" <eric@yourplana.com>     ******
>
> From: "Victor Nolton" <ven@pragakhan.com>
>
> > I wasn't aware that you were supposed to install interchange as root.
>
> I don't think that either. But RPM's are only allowed to
> be installed as root. At least on my system.

That makes sense.

> The tarball installed everything in a subdirectory of
> /home/user. I liked that better.

This is OK too. You have to find sth for starting it up
when the machine comes up.

> And all the default RPM installation directories are directories
> owned by root on most systems (/var/log, /usr/bin, /usr/local).

/usr/local should never be used by packaging systems.

> If I understand the README.rpm correct, it should only
> be necessarry to change owner of /var/run/interchange
> to the user who runs Interchange.
>
> I can't understand how the program can write to for
> instance /var/log without the correct permissions, but...

This is easy, just grant MV/IC an subdirectory of /var/log which
is owned by the MV/IC user. That's a good idea anyway.

Ciao
        Racke

--
LinuXia Systems && Cobolt NetServices, eCommerce and more
Shop- und Datenbanklösungen mit MiniVend, Firewalls auf Debian-Basis