AW: [ic] Different Domainnames for one Shop

Ed LaFrance (New Media E.M.S.) ic_users at newmediaems.com
Wed Oct 13 10:03:01 EDT 2004

At 06:04 PM 10/12/2004, you wrote:

> > >Hallo Tom.

> www.example.com
> > >
> > >Thanks for your idea.
> > >
> > >The problem is not the HTTP server, it's more an Interchange problem that
> > >you configure a static server name in the variable database.
> > >Example :
> > >You open the url www.example.com. The SERVER_NAME is set to
> www.example.net.
> > >In the moment you hit a link on the website the url will change from
> > >www.example.com to www.example.net.
> > >Some users can be confused about that.
> > >
> > >I'll have a look about that what Sandy had written a few days ago.
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >
> > >Lars
> >
> > I coded this before, for a client, some time ago. I'm not sure if the ever
> > used it. The basic approach was to first set apache to use the same IP,
> > document root and script alias for the various different domain names. Then
> > the key variables, such as SERVER_NAME, were defined directly in
> > catalog.cfg (instead of variable.txt) with their initial values. Finally, a
> > block of Perl in an Autoload would examine the inbound URL modify the
> > values of the key catalog variables accordingly. In the case of this
> > client, store names, logos, order emails, and other things were dependent
> > on the domain name, my code did a lookup in a table that was keyed on
> > domain to get the other values.
> >
> > I spent a bit of time looking through my archives to see if I could post it
> > for you, but I was unable to locate a copy, and it has been so long...
> >
> > - Ed
>
>Hi Ed,
>
>I'm very interested in setting something like that up.  Any advice on
>getting it running?  Potential pitfalls?  Was it as straightforward as
>you make it sound?
>
>What would the value for SERVER_NAME be with a multiple-domain setup like
>this?
>
>- Grant

I recall that it worked fine, but it was some time ago. The variables that
are to be assigned dynamically, like SERVER_NAME, can have any arbitrary
initial value, since they are reassigned immediately anyway. There may be
pitfalls, I really don't know.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax