[ic] Solution for config error: Please specify the Locale directive in the configuration file 'catalog.cfg'

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Thu Feb 14 10:05:29 EST 2008

Hello folks,

Regarding the error that a few others have reported in the past,

config error: Please specify the Locale directive in the configuration file
'catalog.cfg'

I've got an update. The error is lurking somewhere in the Admin UI code,
where the setting of DEFAULT_LOCALE gets assigned an invalid value.

The value of DEFAULT_LOCALE should be "en_US" (or another valid locale),
but the Admin UI (irreproducibly) lowercased it to "en_us".

This, of course, caused the Locale directive to end up undefined (no
locale 'en_us' exists), resulting in the above unhelpful message.

I've recorded this as a bug in our RT; until it is fixed, editing
products/variable.txt and changing en_us to en_US is a good solution.

The previous posts on this topic were:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2004-May/039193.html
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2004-May/039194.html
http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2004-May/039192.html