[ic] Release roadmap for Interchange && IRC meeting

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Fri Apr 1 06:52:54 UTC 2011

On 03/31/2011 11:26 PM, Paul Jordan wrote:

>> From: marty at dripdepot.com
>> On Monday, March 28, 2011 11:03:50 am Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
>>> 6.0.x Codename "Bongo"
>>> ======================
>>>
>>> "Bongo" reduces the Interchange core code to the bare minimum, removing
>>> all code attributed to frameworks (sessions, authentication, templating,
>>> dispatching, etc.).
>>>
>>> "Bongo" uses Dancer as web application framework. The flexibility, modular
>>> design and minimalist approach matches the future philosophy of
>>> Interchange.
>>
>> I really like the direction you are going, it seems to make a lot of sense.
>> Since this is such a big move, I think I should mention that there are at
>> least two micro frameworks that are worth looking at....
>>
>> Dancer:
>> http://perldancer.org/
>>
>> Mojolicous:
>> http://mojolicious.org/
>>
>> I like them both. I think Dancer has a stronger community at this time but
>> Mojolicious has excellent documentation.
>>
>> I just thought I would through that out there since it seems to be such a big
>> decision. I hope that helps.
>

> Wow, this must have been from the core list, or on IRC - this is all news to me.

We discussed this briefly on core and IRC, but this is something building up in
our mind (me, Jure, Ton, and some others) for a while after poking around in
"Modern Perl", listening at conferences and picking up nice ideas like HTML::Zoom
and Dancer.

> Do I understand it right that Dancer and Mojolicious is to Perl what Jquery is to Javascript? I'm all for that. I know that because of Jquery I (can and do) leverage Javacript about 1300, 1350 times more than without it.

I don't think you can compare these. Dancer, Mojolicious etc will cover a big
part of we are doing in Interchange right now (dispatching, sessions, prepare
CGI parameters, templating) so we can concentrate on our strengths (eCommerce).

> I'd hate to see several versions (forks?) of IC though, and I would say straying away from commerce would be bad.

Definitely, and that's why "Bongo" is about focusing on commerce. "Bongo" will allow every Perl developer to use
our ecommerce functions and put all our code on the chopping block of the Perl test infrastructure. That will both
give us better code and better exposure in the Perl world. I hardly met guys on Perl conferences knowing about
Interchange ...

> In my experience any web app I have built also needed, benefitied from, or eventually used ecommerce functions in one way or another.

See above.

Regards
	Racke

Interchange Development Team