Akopia Akopia Services

Re: [mv] Re: MV 4.04 and va= on scan

******    message to minivend-users from Mike Heins <mikeh@minivend.com>     ******

Quoting Barry Treahy (Barry@bstent.com):

> My next question, whic is realted, is that is the variable created with va=
> is not in a scratch variable but rather in a space named value?  I've got for
> examples of what I tried, simple process of eliminate I suppose, but I do not
> understand why only the last worked.  Can someone educate me on this?  This
> wasn't intuitive to me and I guess I'm really missing something basic here...

The basic thing is it would never be secure to let someone set
a scratch space variable in a URL. The the [value ...] stuff is
expected to be tainted, but scratch must be secure so you can
use it to set your form actions and run code.

The [value ...] tag translates [ to &#91;, so there is no way
for someone to pass an MV tag via that route.

Otherwise someone could do something with [set ...] ... [/set] and
mv_click. This essentially is what MS Outlook allows you to do....oops!

--
Internet Robotics, 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mikeh@minivend.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.
-